Thursday, July 30, 2009

A question for Weimaraner owners/scent hound owners, regarding cedar chips and smell?

We own an indoor Weimaraner, but some people we have over for company are afraid of dogs--so we built a nice kennel outside for those occasions, or for occasions when we have to be out for the day (just so I don't get lectures on keeping my dog outside all the time...)
My question is, if we put cedar chips in the dog house and pen area, will it destroy his sense of smell? The only place I've read that is in catalogs that sell doggie beds. I can't find any info anywhere else. Is it true that cedar chips destroy their sense of smell? If it does, is it permanent or can it be reversed after not being around cedar for awhile?
I like cedar because of its ability to repel insects (although we do use Frontline on him as well), and it just makes the dog and the area he is in smell nice. There will be lime, not dirt or grass, underneath. What do you KNOW about this? Thanks!
Answers:
I don't have a weimaraner but I do have German Shepherds and we do use cedar chips. We have used cedar chips for about 2 1/2 years now since getting large out door kennels and have found no draw backs to having it. The dogs always smell good and it repels many insects and along with flea treater they have they have never had any worms, ticks, mosquitos (bites/problems from), or fleas. Also the dogs always smell good and fresh (also indoors).
We have 3 german shepherds, and a lab mix and the cedar hasn't affected their since of smell either for better or worse. Cedar had more pros than any other mulch mix too. We get actual cedar pet bedding, it was not too expensive, warm in the winter, dried fast when wet, and smelt really good. I have dealt a lot with dogs and have never heard of them loosing since a smell from anything other than a chemical. I wouldn't be too worried about it but if you really don't want cedar then get pine. It smells good comes in nicely shaved chips and works just as well. Walmart sells large bags of both in the pet section around the other pet beddings for rabbits. If you want to pay more you can also get it at a tractor supply but walmart might be quicker and the better deal for just as much and works the same. With lime getting either bedding will be good. It's really up to you. Both in chips with be soft and smell nice so it works both ways. Personally we just go with whats in stock at walmart or mix it in the kennels and get both scents to help out. Usually a bag fits a decent size kennel but two bags will give you plenty and help layer the dog house as well.
I have looked online to see if I could find anything about cedar doing that and I couldn't. Also a lot of dog beds have cedar to make them smell good and if were so toxic I don't think it would be sold as much and might be required to have a warning. I looked but found nothing. I hope I helped!
it will not destroy their sense of smell... but it will keep them smelling good and keep the fleas off of them
I don't know about the scent thing, but I have a question. Is he/she a chewer. I own a Weim myself and I know that when he is left alown he like to chew on things, cause he's so frustrated. It would not be good if he is a chewer like my dog. It could make him quite ill.
i have three but hardly ever leave them outside why not google it

No comments:

Post a Comment