Friday, July 31, 2009

Aggressive Dogs - At the Dog Park?

I took my adult, female, beautifully trained, Bernese Mtn Dog to a new dog park. I opted not to bring the 7 mos old pups until I knew the park better. My girl did her normal ambling around, eating blackberries off bushes, with a small amount of socializing (she's a people dog, not a dog dog). When we were heading out I stopped to talk to a friend (both of us still watching our dogs) when a woman came in with a Rat Terrier and a Chi-mix. The Rat Terrier ran off to play, the Chi decided to worry at my girl.. barking, snarling and lunging at her ankles. My girl gave me the "darn kids" look. I asked the owner to control her dog and she said "Its not like my dog can hurt yours!". We got into a discussion about the fact that not all dogs are as tolerant as mine. All the while the Chi is continuing (I do not touch other people's dogs without permission because it leaves me at professional liability). My girl lies down.. the dog worries at her head and my girl GROWLFFFFS (BIG BARK)
Answers:
I would have given your dog a great big hug--she sounds like a charmer with the patience of a saint. My Tibetan Mastiffs are the same way--big and with a bark that would shake the depths of h*ll--but they are such teddy bears. People are for some reason afraid of big dogs and think little dogs can't hurt anything, but my experience has been like yours--the problem is the clueless owners that want to blame everything on somebody else and never take responsibility for their ill-socialized and ill-trained mutts. I'd just about had it with dog parks until I found one near us that charges a small yearly fee--you wouldn't believe the difference in the kinds of people that come to a paid park vs. a free one. That few dollars seems to eliminate a lot of irresponsible dog owners, and we've had nothing but good experiences at this park and now it's the only one we go to. If you don't have one near you, consider opening one... Sorry for the grief. Wish I could give you better advice, but people like that are best avoided. If your dog had even nipped at hers, you'd probably be facing a law suit right now. Take care.
you did the right thing she is such a moron though
next time just leave and try not to get into an argument
i love how tolerant your dog is she must be such a good girl
in no way is she "dangerous"
Sounds like the other person has the problem dogs, just avoid her. Good job training your dog to not react to agression easily.
I would have told her she shouldn't have let her little termite torture my dog and that she was just telling it to stop the only way that she knew. Just because her dog is little doesn't mean that it should be allowed to harass bigger dogs. No one likes to be tormented or taunted.God bless!!
Step on the chi's head by accident. I know it's mean and cruel, but those dogs are so worhtless. And i apologize to any Chi owner's out there that absolutely love their dogs, but they're not dogs. They're just little rodents that bark. I would have told the woman that you asked her nicely to control her dog. If she fails to comply, then her dog got eactly what it deserved. Even if it is less than what was really deserved. Either way, I would continue to go to that dog park. If it ended up in a court of law, I think the jury would rule in your favor. Unless they're a bunch of rodent lovers.
Kenny, 2 yr old JRT/PRT mix.
Genny, old girl Chesapeake Bay Golden Retriever/Chow mix
JoJo, Lhasa Apsa (RIP)
Marcello, Lhasa Apsa (RIP)
Small dog owners tend to be very defensive and protective about their dogs around larger dogs. I would have told her if she cannot control her dog at the dog park, you will report her to the owners. No dog, big or small, should intimidate others that are there to enjoy the park.
i don't really care for dog parks for that very reason.
owners who are ignorant are the ones who usually take you to the courthouse when their irritating dogs get hurt because the owner isn't paying attention or in your case just being plain idiotic.
i feel sorry for you. maybe in the future you can find out what time she usually brings her dogs so you can go before or after.
i think you did everything you could. even though she says her dogs can't hurt yours, yours can certainly hurt hers. your right, if it had been a less tolerant dog her dog could be dead right now. even the most well behaved dogs have their limits. unfortunately something bad will probably have to happen before she gets a clue.
good luck in the future.
i would not have talked to her and if she persists, simply go walk your dog with your friend about 50 feet ahead of her. If she continues to follow you say "what the crap lady? i moved so you wouldnt freak . why dont you leave me alone?" and walk off.
You handled it well by speaking to the owner. She obviously knows very little about dog behavior and sounds like a very arrogant person. Hindsight of course is 20/20 but if you could have thought to say 'no, your dog can't hurt mine but mine is subject to bite the head off yours, now please, we need a little space'.
you did the right thing some people think just cuz their dogs are small they don't need to be controlled it takes a bigger person to walk away from people like that she a moron and you have a real well behaved dog so feel good about yourself and your dog
first off, your dog sounds beautiful; BMD are gorgeous!
I think your dog behaived great in that situation. It was the woman who had the bad dog, not you. all your dog did was tell the stupid yappy dog to shut up... i guarentee if it was some other dog that the chi was barking at, the dog would have fought back.
Good job on your training with your dog!

No comments:

Post a Comment