Friday, July 31, 2009

Acceptable raw vegetables for my dogs?

I regularly give my dogs a mixture of raw broccolli, carrots, green beans and even apples every once in awhile. What other fruits and veggies are acceptable. I know I'm not supposed to give them grapes!.
Answers:
During the hot summer months, frozen thin strips of raw carrots are a good treat. I notice that for my dog after chewing on and eating a whole carrot, that smaller chunks of the carrot passes through his system undigested, hence offer the dog smaller thinner pieces.
I'm not sure that broccoli is readily digestible.
Fully cooked brown rice may the most digestible vegetable.
Fully cooked potatoes are okay.
In generally, any starch based food should be fully cooked.
Most grains are usually not a good idea.
Grapes, raisins, and onions are no good.
Chilled cuts of tomatoes are okay.
Apples and bananas are okay.
And as someone said, that too much of the acceptable fruit or vegetable is not a good idea for the carnivore that a dog is.
Dogs have relatively small stomachs that work better on smaller portions of highly digestible food sources.
Pretty much any veggie is fine, except onions. Just remember to keep it in small amounts since dogs are carnivores and need a majority of meat in their diet.
Most fruits are fine as well, but really restrict the amount of fruit because of the sugar.
Those are good try bananas too
Most veggies are good. I never feed cauliflower, broccoli : give them gas. And tomatoes : too acidic.
Of course no onions :)))
Beleive it or not my goldens love yellow squash and green squash raw. Also carrots and pear slices. Celery, cherry tomatoes but not to many of them.
no grapes, raisins, chocolate, or onions, my dogs love strawberries, any kind of melon and baby carrots. they even eat lettuce. cauliflower is good and blueberries, my dogs don't like them. but some do. celery, cranberries, these are much safer for your dog than buying treats, considering all the recalls. hope this helps, I even give my dog canned veggies. they aren't as good as fresh but a healthy substitute

No comments:

Post a Comment