Thursday, July 30, 2009

A question about shih tzus?

I have a beautiful little male shih tzu, I've owned him for 10 years and I'd do anything for him. I just have one question, though. He's a small breed toy dog, and I've heard that they are a bit snappish. I wouldn't blame him, looking at his size. He must be scared of everyone! I was just wondering whether girl or boy shih tzus would be more snappish. Which gender tolerates more? Answers are appreciated...
Answers:
his size is completely irrenevant. Shih tzus were originally guard dogs. Seriously. They can be ferocious little monsters, and they have NO idea they're tiny. A lot of their behavior depends on how they're raised and socialized. It's funny, but people tend to let toy breeds get away with more, esecially when they're little, so they grow up with some awful habits sometimes. The cute little shih tzu puppy growling at the vet is adorable. When he's grown it's a pain in the butt! Anyway, behavior is rarely gender based. Raised correctly they're very sweet little dogs for the most part.
females are more so due to their hormones
i had two.. a brother and sister..
in my experiance.. the male was snappy.. and the female was a complete mush.. u could do anything to her and she wouldnt care.. the male.. if u pet him wrong would snap..
If you've owned a shih-tzu for 10 yrs and haven't been bit your LUCKY! As a vet tech and groomer I've known more mean males, but I don't really think it matters. A female that is spayed before she's 1, and groomed every 4 to 6 weeks from the time she's a puppy should have a better attitude than say an un neutered male whos never socialized and been left in the back yard because he pees on everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment