Friday, July 31, 2009

Adopting a dog from the pound?

My bf and I are wanting to adopt a dog from our local pound. We were told by the pound person, that we would not be allowed to adopt a pet because we were not married. Can you believe that. We have been together for over 2 years and besides married people get divorced all the time. I was apauled at the fact that they would rather put a pet down than to let a "unmarried" couple adopt. Has this happened to anyone else and are there really rules concerning the marriage status of a couple when adopting a pet?
Answers:
Outrageous! Married folks have like a 60% chance of divorce these days, cohabiting couples actually stay together longer! My boyfriend and I have been together 71/2 years and occasionally talk marriage, but neither one of us feels any pressure to do so. We're 38 and 36, we're not going anywhere!
My shelter adopts to singles, marrieds, brother/sister, dating folks, and gay/lesbian couples. One requirement: You must be at least 18 years old. Period. Otherwise we don't care about your relationship status. Shop around- there's plenty of other shelters and plenty of dogs waiting for your love- one of the sad facts is that there won't be a shortage of options. Good luck and thank you for adopting and saving a life!
Deppending on the pound. Yes there are some rules like that. Get your parents to get the dog for you then pay them for it so you could have it. Its one way to get a dog.
I think that is awful! I have never heard of such a thing. It has never happened to me, but it does seem like the animal should be adopted and not destroyed.
I work with a humane society and never have heard this before. We never ask marital status. Go find another shelter. The rules are different at different shelters. Look on www.petfinder.com. And don't give up on adopting because of this.
.where do you live?.
.we adopted a great dane puppy from the orange county pound and there was no problem and we werent married either.
.also, we looked at other dogs in other places and never was there a problem with a couple thats not married. that i find to be a very very weird thing. Your local shelter should re-think their screening process.
.Im sorry this happened to you.
I've never heard of such a thing. How old are you? Individuals rescue dogs all the time; myslef included. If you're of age, I'd go back and ask for a supervisor.
WOW I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THAT. kUDOS TO YOU FOR ADOPTING. try another shelter. That is so strange though! !!
what? really? i never heard of that!! my cousin and and her bf
adopted a dog from a shelter and that dog is sooooo cute!
That's never happened to me, my boyfriend and I tried to adopt a dog from 2 different places and they didn't care. Did you want the dog in both of your names? Perhaps that could have been why. I mean legally the dog is in my name, however on her adoption papers it says it's 'for: my boyfriends name' so I guess if anything should happen to us and we break up, we could get joint custody of the dog. The only thing that I can think of is one or both of you are not over the age of 18, in that case they may be a bit leery of giving you guys the dog because dogs are only allowed to be adopted to people over the age of 18. I'd look into adopting from another near by shelter. My local animal shelter has a really dumb way of adopting dogs, it's not first come first serve, they have drawings. I tried to get 3 different dogs, all unsuccessful, so I traveled a county away (and about an hour as well) and got my dog.
That is strange. Rescue groups and shelters have the hard task of trying to get to know people while keeping the best interests of the animals in mind, too. If that's their policy then there isn't much you can do about it. Try to volunteer (both of you) with another local shelter or rescue group so that you can be in the loop. Fostering and assisting are great ways to get "in" with a group, and then they'll get to know you and see that you have integrity. Good luck - thanks for adopting!
sounds more like the person whom you talked to has made up their own rules
This particular shelter is likely looking for stability. Are you in your 30's, homeowners, etc? Or are you in your 20's, renters, etc.?
Shelters cannot discriminate against marital status (i.e. gay couples, etc., can adopt a pet) but they can require stability. This is for the benefit of the pet.
If you feel you can provide the stability the shelter is looking for, ask to speak to the shelter director and be prepared to prove your "case."
Good luck!
EDIT: If it was a rescue vs. a shelter, you more than likely don't have to worry about the dog being put to sleep. There are LOTS of dogs on petfinder.com -- hopefully you'll see another little face on there that you'll love and it will be the right dog for you.
Thats horrible, it shouldn't matter if you are married, you are saving a puppies life! How stupid.
I do think that's a bit silly. They probably worry that you will split up and fight over the dog or return it to the pound. That makes no sense, because people get divorces and fight over pets, also, sadly many give up their pets in a divorce!
I know they let single people adopt, so go there with your boyfriend but don't let them know you live together. Just say he's a friend who's going to help you pick a pet. Then let the dog pick you. If they still won't allow, go to a no-kill shelter and start over.
There will be a dog there that just HAS to own you. He/she will wag all over and get so excited and love you in 30 seconds or less!
Good luck.
That's pathetic.
Just because a pair of people aren't married doesn't mean they can't be loving and responsible owners. People are so fixitated on the stereotype that unmarried couples are irresponsible and sleezy (for lack of a better word).
I am only a kid, so I've never had trouble with this before.
A couple can love eachother and be together without having to get married. Sometimes marriage just destroys a relationship with stress, etc. Try another pound.
As someone who has worked a LOT with rescue as well as being a breeder who insists on re-homing dogs I've produced if things don't work out... I can tell you..
One of the most common reasons a dog needs rehoming is due to a relationship breakup... whether boyfriend/girlfriend or marital. Both people go their separate ways.. need new apartments and neither ends up being able to keep the dog... or the dog is a sign of their relationship and neither wants the dog... etc etc...
Personally, I think you're right... it is pretty darned stupid to euthanize an animal rather than not sell it to someone based on their marital status.
Wow...I have never heard of something like that! I know many rescue shelters are very cautious about who they adopt to, but the pound (owned by your city...Animal Control,) usually does not give much thought who they are adopting too.
I don't know any more details...your ages, occupations, living arrangements, etc. So I couldn't really tell you if it's right/wrong. You can always try going back to the shelter alone.maybe without a second person involved they will adopt the animal out. Hey, worth a try!
That's terrible!
We adopted my dog a few years back and they didnt question my parents about things like that at all. You really should complain - or try another pound.
That's SO dumb!
It is really good of you guys to choose the pound though! Pound puppies need love too!
Maybe try getting the dog as a single person? Don't mention that it will be "both" of your dogs...
I don't know... That stinks though!
I dont know the law where you live, but in the uk the only criteria needed to adopt a dog is a good home and the right facilities to care for the dog. If it is law in your country then the laws an ***.
Wow! Where is this shelter? I have never heard anything so strange! I wonder what they would have said if only one of you had applied! My rescue group adopts out to unmarried couples. One person takes on the responsibility of signing the contract. Perhaps the shelter was overly worried about what might happen to the dog if you split up.
Don't get discouraged. Try some other shelters or rescue groups.
Thank you for considering adopting!

No comments:

Post a Comment