Friday, July 31, 2009

After back surgery What is the best method of sling walking my dog?


Answers:
I have a belly belt for my dog - its good but thers a lot of stooping as I'm tall %26 my dog is only 15inches to the shoulder - I've reciently seen an intresting kind of front body sling that covers the intire front half of the dogs body - I haven't tried it as my dog was a bit to chesty for the size they had to fit him ... If your dogs rear end isthe part needing support - I'd probably go the bely belt rout - or use a towel under him %26 hold at it on a leasthe top ( not as secure though ) I believe Outward hound has a belly belt they sell ?? when walking your dog in a 'sling' make sure you have oyou dog on leash also - its kind of difficult to cordinate bit keeping your don on lead ( short ) %26 controled- allows you to adjustits pace so the belly belt doesnt end up around its knees i fi iit tries to run off ! Good luck !
There are specially made slings to assist with walking or you can use a towel or sheet looped underneath the dog's abdomen to support the hind-legs while it walks with the front legs. Also, if your dog doesn't regain it's ability to walk again, there are specially made carts to help them be mobile.
Petco and other stores have slings that you hold up on them and your dog walks along. the vet may have them. You are going to carry a lot of your dogs weight. So try to have two people for the first few times you walk your dog, they get heavy quickly when your not used to carrying that weight.
Here is a site that may be able to answer your questions:
http://www.handicappedpets.com/...
If you only need temporary help, you may be able to find lightly used equipment on ebay or craigslist.
what did the vet recommend?

No comments:

Post a Comment