Friday, July 31, 2009

Agility Classes--Benefits?

Besides the obvious fun I'll be having with my dog, what are other benefits (for my dog) in enrolling my dog in agility classes? I've just enrolled him in the class after our obedience training. He is a miniature poodle and he'll be turning 7 at the end of the year. I've had him for 5.5 years now; we got him when he was 1.5yr. I hadn't taken him to classes until this last recent obedience training and he did well. The instructor thinks he's ready for agility. Will the agility classes help him stay healthier and such because of the exercises? Or help his mind stay sharper as he grows older?
Answers:
Well, the regular exercise is great for keeping an aging dog healthier and younger. However, what people often forget is that older dogs have brains - agility will keep your dog younger because he's exercising his mind.
My going on 10 year old greyhound is learning new things all the time and he thrives on it. His latest "trick" is finding treats that I've hidden around the house. Keeping in mind that these aren't scent hounds and this isn't what they were bred for, he's doing incredibly well and having fun doing it!
I don't know about keeping his mind sharp, but it will help keep your dog in good shape. It's also lots of fun for you and the dog
Had a real shy dog. Was doing obedience class with him.
They started a agility class. And said this should help. It did!
And he loved doing it a lot.
And think about what the dog has to do. He has to think his way through the course. It is not the same all the time. Thinking keeps your mind sharp. Even for people.
You should never quit learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment