Thursday, July 30, 2009

A good guard dog, but also a family dog?

I'm looking for a good guard dog and a family dog? which breed is the best? but not too big
Answers:
For a good guard dog for your family and property, I have to say German Shepherds. They are great with kids, loyal, smart and protective of their family. I know they are big but they are worth it.
a golden doodle its a golden retriver and a poodle mix together my friend has one and hes sweet and protective
Small dog's suck... Get a golden retriever you wont be sorry...Just be sure and buy all gold furniture and carpeting.
Labradors are very good family pets. they are wonderful with children and they are very protective of their home and owners. My Labrador has been very protective of us ever since we got him as a puppy. he can be very aggressive when the situation calls for it, but he also is wonderful with my 2 year old nephew. He will lay there and let my nephew walk on him and pull his tail and whiskers without even so much as growling at him. Labs have been known for their good nature and are known for being good family dogs. good luck!
A miniature schnauzer is the best family/guard dog you can get! They also stay pretty small. I have a 2 year old miniature schnauzer that is wonderful! She listens very well and takes to everyone in the house.. not just one person. She will bark when anyone comes up.. but wouldn't hurt them. She definately warns us when there is someone coming down the road!!
Miniature Schnauzers also DO NOT SHED or HAVE AN ODOR!! Most dogs have a stinky smell on them.. and schnauzers don't! I wouldn't have a dog inside that didn't shed or smell.. lol
A ENGLISH MASTIFF ARE THE BEST OH AND A WEINER DOG
It would depend on your defination of a guard dog. Given the defination of a guard dog, it should be of the larger breeds. Breeds like german sheperd, Rockweilers, Bull Mastiffs are excellent guard and family dogs. Their reputation and body built should be enough to intimidate any suspicious people around.
However, if you are looking for dogs who will only be barking at strangers, then most of the terrier breeds like silky terriers, jack russell, yorkshire terriers should do job fine. They are small in size but big in theirs barks and they are good family pets. Of course, given their size, you don't expect them to put up a fight confronting strangers.
My personal opinion would be a chow-chow. Its an excellent guard dog and family dog. Its not too big but being a gurad dog by nature, their can be agressive if provoked. The only drawback is that they are not very good with children. Unless you have kids in the house, the chow-chow would be the best choice.
There are no absolute rules of thumb when it comes to a dogs personality. The breed gives you a general idea, but, each dog is so different that it's impossible to predict who will be a good watchdog. Having said that, I have owned 2 German Shepherds who pretty much were what you are looking for. Another one of my Shepherds was the worst guard dog I've ever owned.
I currently own a Chow. And I can tell you from first-hand experience that Chow's are wonderful guard dogs, but, think about what a great guard dog will do! Mine bites ANY stranger that sets foot in my fenced back-yard. He will bite anybody who reachs over the fence to pet him as well! I can never trust my Chow to be alone with other humans - ever.
Don't even consider getting a pitbull as a guard dog. My pitbull was the kindest gentlest dog I've ever owned. (Unless you happened to be a cat!)
One last note, don't expect any dog to immediately come home with you and be a guard dog. It takes some time. All of my dogs have been obtained as puppies either from the pound or from dgo rescue organizations. None of my dogs showed any signs of being guard dogs until they were at least a year old. Good luck.
OMG i love 183club too!!
they r so hott.
but bak to the question. a big dog would be fine

No comments:

Post a Comment