Thursday, July 30, 2009

A Good Dog Shampoo for a Yorkie?

Hi. I was wondering if anyone knows a good brand of dog shampoo out there for a Yorkie? The shampoo needs to have a long lasting scent. My Yorkie lives outside because of his terrible smell. I use Groomax shampoo on him twice a week, but the scent goes away after an hour and he starts to smell again. I have to shower for him twice a week because the smell is horrible but it doesn't seem to do any good. The only time he's ever smelled good is after he came back from the groomers and he smelled so good we didn't have to shower for him for a month. After showering for him twice a week for a couple of weeks, his skin is drying out and getting itchy. So, I shower for him once a week now and spray like doggy spray on him and the spray isn't working on him either it lasts only like 2 hours and goes away. Would anyone like to recommend a good smelling shampoo? And should I use an oatmeal shampoo or itch relief type?
Answers:
stop bathing him so much!! You are drying his skin out. He should only need bathed once or twice a month.
Try brushing him daily. Use some leave in conditioner on his skin to help restore moisture to his skin and coat.
Doggy odors can be associated with skin infections, ear infections, dental problems, and poor diet.
I dont think its a skin thing.. his skin is dry and itchy now because you are bathing too much.
Check inside his ears, are they expecially smelly? Sore to the touch? Red, crusty, black or dark brown dirt? He needs to see a vet for antibiotics.
What are you feeding the dog? Poor diet will cause doggy odors.
Yorkie should not smell horrible. And you should not keep Yorkie outdoor, they are indoor pets.
If your Yorkie smell, find out where the smell come from. Most of time is from the ears, because of ears infection.
But anyway, I use Buddy wash, Buddy Rinse on my Yorkie. And use Buddy splash when I brush her.
Tough question. I have two Yorkies aged 14 and 7. I am always in search for the perfect shampoo. I use Aussie Shampoo and Conditioner (for people) on them and it usually makes them smell pretty good. May I ask why your Yorkie lives outside? Yorkies are notorious for their "scent." It's just something you have to accept. Also, you should not bathe him more than once a week. I bathe my Yorkies once or twice a month. I've used the oatmeal shampoos and the itch relief shampoos and they never work. He might just have skin allergies. Maybe you should take him to the vet just to make sure instead of spending a ton of money on special shampoos and stuff. Good Luck.
What have you been doing to that dog so that it smells horrible. Use Pantene!
try bathing him once a month and using a little baby powder or dog scent pray you can get at a petstore. No way should any dog be bathed twice a week.
i have a Yorkie and i use Dawn dish-washing liquid on her! Go out to Petsmart and buy dog perfume/colonge it works good on isabella!

No comments:

Post a Comment