Friday, July 31, 2009

Adoption placements, this really bothers me, does it bother you?

Question = "During an inspection of your home, to adopt a dog, what do they look for?"
Problem = The following two paragraphs posted by Vet Tech in her answer.
Some things I look for is potential hazards to the dog (exposed electrical cords, cleaners left out, holes under the fence, clutter everywhere etc.). I will not adopt any of our dogs out to anyone who smokes inside of the house (my personal decision), so I do look for that. I like to see that the family has carefully planned where the dog will be spending most of his time, where he/she will sleep, etc.
NOTE: Like Bambi.. I too bring one of MY dogs, Clara (she is VERY intutive), to the home visit to see how she reacts and the potential owners react. She drools (Saint Bernard), usually dirty from playing outside, and will welcome herself on furniture, as well. I like to see reactions too.
---
How do you feel you can operate off of your own opinions, shouldn't there be rescue policies to follow?
It has become about control
Answers:
There is policy to follow too. But in their defense there is also the inspection of the person that usually weighs a bigger amount than anything. I used to do home Inspection for a Golden rescue too some years ago and I did the exact same things they do now.
As far as smoking goes it has been linked to upper respiratorie infections in dogs too. I think it is a personal decision on the part of the inspector and if the home is exceptional in every other way. some do have it written into their policy. So it's up to the rescue and the person who does the inspection.
Ok no I would not allow my dog on someone else furniture because they are not allowed on mine. The purpose to bring the dog is to see how the people react to having the dog in the house and how the dog reacts to the house.
that in my mind is going a bit too far.
Nope, doesn't bother me in the least. All shelters/resuces have their own rules that they follow. So what?
Each shelter or rescue probably has their own way of doing it. Their own rules and things they look for.
I think that if I were going to train a younger dog to stay off of my furniture, I would not want someone else's big dirty drool monster hopping up on my couch uninvited. I would ask the owner to keep the animal off of my furniture.
I think it is a good idea to bring a dog though. Any dog that is used to people and gentle around children. Especially in a household with young children, I would want to make sure they treat well, or that the adult steps in if they treat the dog inappropriately.
Oh, also, you wanted to know, and they gave you an answer. If you were looking for a specific answer, you should have asked in a more specific place... say.. the shelter you plan to adopt from?
It's nothing to do with control, I do home visits, not "inspections".
My only interest is in the welfare of the dog,so I look for safety issues - will the dog be able to walk in and out or will he be secure? If they have a pool, will the dog ever be alone there?
If there is a fence, is it secure or will they always leash walk. No dog should be running outside free, it's too dangerous.
Do they intend to feed decent dog food? Do they understand that a dog sometimes requires vetting and will they provide it.
Are their children, if they have any, polite with them and with the dog?
Do they have some provision for the dog when they go away - a relative or a kennel?
We have a home visit form, the questions are standard, I don't make it up "for control" and I don't care if the house is rich or plain - just that they will love and care for the dog.
Most rescue dogs have already lost home, they do not need to lose another, so I look that the prospective adoptive home is a "forever home".
I also take a dog with me and watch the people's reaction to my dog. If my dog has an accident and they are upset, they obviously won't be able to deal with a dog coming in to their home - most dogs are nervous in a new home and need a few days to adjust - accidents happen. If the people have all sorts of rules "not on this sofa, not on this chair, not in the bed, etc", they don't need a dog, they need a stuffed animal.
It truly has nothing to do with control. I spend my own time and money and a lot of effort finding good homes for dogs, I WANT to pass a home when I do a home visit, but I need to be sure the dog will be safe and loved.
Look at it from this point of view, it has nothing to do with "inspecting" anyone or their home - it is my responsibility to be sure the dog will go to a good home, that's all.
ok I used to work for a shelter - this is what was important to check for:
1 Fully fenced yard of appropriate height (or enclosed dog run) - with shelter or house access... why? because tying dogs makes agressiive dogs and no fence can have a roaming dog soon...
2 Other pets - are they in good condition? too many?? are they fixed??
3 Where will the dog eat/sleep? this basically is so you can show people thoughts and ideas that may not have occured to them
the home visit isnt to look for electrical cords...its an opportunity to educate owners so they are better prepared...and check that certain things required (fences) are in place.
Rescue groups are run by volunteers. The rescue may or may not have criteria to look for or do on a home visit, but either way, they depend on the volunteer. I don't know of any rescue or shelter that has paid people to do home visits.
Frankly, I think most shelters and many rescue groups are too lax in their criteria in placing dogs and cats, so no, I don't have a problem with the above.

No comments:

Post a Comment