Wednesday, July 29, 2009

A big decision to make?

My dog, a terrier mix-57 pounds for some reason attacked one of my cats this morning, it was a horrific fight and I have just got back from having to put my poor cat to sleep. The dog broke its jaw so bad, that the vets said they don't even do surgery like that there-it was the worst break to have. He would have had to put a plate and wires in and the vet also said that after all that is done, a lot of cats can't eat and they go downhill from there.The dog would lick the cat's fur till it was so wet and lay right next to him and was never a threat to him. This dog has NEVER attacked the cat like that-and she is good natured, great with kids and people.He doesn't like other dogs though. My husband is toying with the idea of putting the dog to sleep because he thinks a kid is next. I am so upset about this. Has anyone been in the same situation and what did you decide to do. Thanks!
Answers:
I am terribly sorry for your loss and present situation. You dont mention the age of your dog. A senior may sometimes start to change in temperament due to health reasons. A pup as well may reach an age between 1 and 2 depending on the breed that they test those around them and rival for dominance. If this is truly out of char actor for your dog I would talk to my vet about possible health reasons that would cause a change in temperament. There is very often a reason such a horrible attack would suddenly occur out of no where. I would certainly be concerned and want to know why this happened. In the same hand many hunting dogs and dogs in general cannot live with other pets especially cats, hamsters, rabbits, birds, ect. but make wonderful family members.
Any dog with that kind of behavior is a risk. If you've had it for YEARS (5 +) then you can consider keeping it, but I would get rid of it. For my families safety and for others safety.

If you think about it in the standards that we live it, murder is a crime.
I'm so sorry for the loss of your cat. Sounds horrific.
Not sure I would put the dog to sleep, but I would not risk it with my child either.
I would probably try to find a friend or relative that had no children or other animals to see if they wanted to take it. If not I would take it to a no kill shelter and tell them what had happened when you surrender it to make sure it was not placed with children or other animals.
I love all of my animals dearly, but if any of them showed any signs of viciousness the way yours has I would not trust it with a child.
It is a big decission... a huge one to have to make, but if he did do this to the cat who was previously his friend it may just be your child next.
So sorry - how terrible for you...You have a very difficult decision to make. I would ask these questions
How was the dog after this happened?
What about the other cats?
Did the cat antagonize the dog?
What was different/or happened to make the dog react like that.
I agree with most that possibly a vet could help you with your decision. They are the experts on the behaviour of animals.
Good luck with what ever you decide - you have already lost one pet, it would be very sad to lose two.

No comments:

Post a Comment