Wednesday, July 29, 2009

6 mth old puppy is nibbling/nipping on me...?

I have a 5 1/2 mth old choc lab mix. The past two weeks she started this nipping thing. Sometimes its when I pet her others when I'm doing something that irritates her. She'll nibble my shirts and sometimes catch skin and it stings. She does it for like 3-5 seconds and stops. Should I worry about this?
Answers:
That's what puppies do. Everytime she does this make a loud "yip" sound to startle her. Its what her litter mates did with her to let her know she is hurting them. I also taught my puppy, who had the same problem, "touch nicely", so when she started nipping I would say this and she would lick instead.
yes stop this habit now before she learns to hurt. gently flick her on the noise and sternly say no each time she starts to nip!
maybe she's teething
she's a puppy. i wouldnt worry about it, just let her know it hurts you so that she wont hurt you in the future.
possibly, it depends on breed and how you have socialized it. Probably just adolescent behavior, but I would keep a keen eye on it.
Her teeth are driving her crazy, just like a human baby. Get her a TON of chew toys (puppy safe) so that she doesn't start chewing your things. Good luck!! Also I wouldn't worry about it, but I would also make it known that it isn't exceptable.
this is the age during which she will do this. whenever she nips you (however lightly), shriek loudly and turn away from her. that is what puppies do when they play with each other. she will stop doing it eventually.
here is the big test of the word "NO" our male still try every so often but his nibbles were getting more nibbly.. just seems be a stage n one of those how far can i push it things..usually at this stage youngs dogs would be doing this with other dogs..they nip n run or nip at each other stage so u are her suitable candidate
Its a phase, most puppies start a little later than 6 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment