Friday, July 31, 2009

Adopting a staffy and my parents are now not talking to me!?

i'm 27 with three children and i am adopting a rescue staffy and due to pick him up on sunday, we went and met the dog as a family before adopting him and was also vetted by the rescue centre, with home visits before adoption and after. i just told my mother and she has gone mental. purely because of the breed. i know the dogs history, as it has been rehomed three times since a puppy from the same rescue place to the same person and each time circumstance has dictated him to take him back, (he was out the house 14 hrs a day due to work) we've walked him, and he doesnt pull, walks by your side, etc. he's a beautiful dog and i'm sure the rescue place wouldnt adopt him out to a family with children if they had a single doubt about his temperament. how can i make my mother see its not the dog but the owner? she'd driving me mad!!!
Answers:
She is just going to have to meet him and see how nice of a dog he is...people have gotten so afraid of certain breeds of dogs that they classify the whole breed as bad when it is mainly bad ownership. Ignore her comments and facts cause when you look up dog attacks there are a lot of labs, terriers and other assorted dogs that you would never think of as being aggressive and hurting someone. She may always be wary of the breed but by getting to know your new dog and seeing how nice he is it might just thaw her out a little and maybe hopefully change her mind. I have the same reaction from my parents and other people, we have 3 kids and a rottie which we raised from a pup and she was born into a family with young kids...awesome dog, no aggression but still my mom is wary of her like she will just attack for no reason...my sister's jack russell bit my daughter cause she was following the dog around...my daughter can sit on my rottie and she loves the attention...it's all in the raising I say, and that is from experience.
sadly, since the terrable accident of new years, all familys tend to panic at the thought of any sort of dog that may resemble, a pit. Staffs are one of the dogs that are coming under the most assault because of it which is in deed a shame because staffs in fact are one of the best breeds of dogs i have found with kids. i would never leave a child unsupervised with a staff, but thats the same with any dog, chiwowa (sp?) jack russel, alsation, collie, all dogs should be supervised with children.
but, staffs truly are a great dog and i don't think the centre would have adopted him out to a family if he wasn't suited to one (as you said)
your family are going OTT but at the same time i can see why, i guess all you can do is, introduce them to the dog once you have it and let them see for themselves. take them on a visit to the rescue center to meet the dog BEFORE sunday so they have a chance to meet him before, let them see him interacting with the kids.
you have no way of changing their minds or opinions for them, but they should come round in time, just make sure you dont give them any chances to say "i told you so" lol
good luck with your new addition to the family :)
Staffordshire bull terriers are known as the "nanny" dog because of their tendancy to mother children. I have had two of the breed in the past (one from pup and one as a rescue) and both have been brilliant with my child.
BUT staffordshires do have lock jaw - ie if they bite down you can't get them off.
Don't leave your kids alone with him/her, don't let them tease it etc and just be careful.
They are a lovely breed and your mother is just being a worried grandparent x x
I wouldn't place too much trust in the rescue centre if they've rehomed with the same person three times? It doesn't seem quite right to me. Make sure you're 110% that the dog's fine with your children and don't leave him with them. I'd say that about any dog and children though.
I'd say your mum is going a bit OTT, it's your decision isn't it.
I hate it when people are breed bias, thank the media. The only think you can do is prove people wrong by being responsible. You might want to consider obedience classes, a well behaved dog speaks for itself.
Good luck with that...You won't be able to. She won't change her mind until she is good and ready. (Even then, she may not admit it) Once she sees how well behaved and how sweet the dog is, she may change, but that's a big "If".
Congratulations for going through a rescue!! (I have 4 rescues, myself!)
Have fun!
I'm sure when your mum meets him she will come round ,put please understand your mum as only got your families best interest at heart ,y don't you see if she will go and meet him at the rescue centre ? they have had bad press ,its just that your mum don't understand ,i hope you get sorted soon x
staffys have a bad reputation but in my job I'm yet to come across a bad tempered one,the ones Ive seen are sweet natured loving and play full its the owners of these dogs that mistreat them and they turn nasty,just tell your mum its your life your decision and you trust the dog,he deserves a life with a family that CARE for him like you do,
if your mum is worried about the reputation of them ,just tell her no dog is born viscous or aggressive its the owner that makes the dog like this,you will be fine and i hope he has a loving home for life with your family.
staffs are good around children
Tell your parents that you are adopting one of the most affectionate and biddable breed of dog. I am a grandmother and there are two staffies in my family, both adored by everyone. Good luck
Can't say I think it's a great idea to have any bull terrier around kids. People always go mad when you say it claiming that their dog would "never hurt a fly" but I'm sure the owners of the dogs that have attacked children thought the same of their dogs.
And I'm afraid I don't think it is just the owner with these types of breed.
I'm sure I will get lots of thumbs down for my answer but my friend had her face and neck bitten by one of these dogs and had to have reconstructive surgery.
most people panic but i rescued a staffy in october she is a darling i have three children and had staffys for 15yrs first rescue one thoe do it again once your mum meets him she will soon change her mind they are so so loving and explaine its a trail period and just give the dog a chance hope all works out i am sure it will would be such a shame for the dog to return to the dogs home
Why take even the tiniest risk with a dog like this when there are so many other lovely and more dependable dogs such as Labradors, Golden Retrievers etc., who have a known track record with children?
I can't understand it. I agree with your Mother I'm afraid. She only has your welfare at heart.
Why is it that when people want a herding dog - they get a border collie? Or if they hunt, they get beagles? Or use German Shepherds for guarding? Then when it comes to staffs and pit bulls they forget what the dog is bred for.
Your mother is sensible and hasn't forgotten what your dog was bred to do - fight bulls. As a result, they have the potential to cause the most damage when they bite - even while playing. Then there could be dominance issues, if the dog feels that it is superior to one of the children, there could be problems. I've seen many staffs, pitbulls, and american bulldogs who had perfect owners turn and cause disfiguring bites.
just send your parents emails of the dog playing with the kids and how happy they all are. maybe it will show them just how fond of your kids the dog is and will change their minds.
by the way sunkiss so do many other dogs, so why dont we just do away with all canines. come on it can happen from any breed. any dog with dominance issues will bite
I think your parents are being a bit extreme. it's your house, kids and dog to do with what you want. But saying that, a staffie attacked a baby in a pub garden in Dorset a few weeks ago, leaving terrible injuries to the baby's face, so be very careful.
the best dog to have with kids absolutely my sister has one and an american pitbull also three young children your parents obviously only see the bad stories and tar them all with the same brush
its wonderful your adopting a rescue dog and the fact its a staff should make no difference! your obviously an intelligent woman who will have the best interests of her children at heart, so you are not going to bring a vicious animal into your home! you know a bit about the dogs background, and you know he was brought back due to circumstance rather than his personality. as you say, you wouldn't leave any dog alone with your children. staffs are one of the only breeds of dog to be recommended to live with children as they were bred to live in the family home rather than a kennel. maybe reassure your mother that staffs are not the same as pit bulls. i have a staff cross and she is the best natured dog you could wish for, loves cuddles and is a great family dog! hope you and your new doggy family member win your mother round x
My mom feels/felt the same way. My roommate has a pit/lab mix - but he is stocky ans muscular like a pit. He's got the profile of a lb, but from the front has the "jowls" of a pit.
She met him, thought he was nice, then when she found out he was part pit, she had nothing to do with him the rest of the time she was visiting.
She came out again and spent time with me. I still have the same roommate and we still have the same dog. She warmed up to him soooo much more as she realized that he is even tempered and an absolute sweetheart.
Your mom is just concerned. The breed has gotten a bad name and so her primary concern is of you and your family. You can't blame her for that. I would probably be concerned too if my child adopted one - because in this day and age, you really just never know.
The only thing you can do - honestly - is show her. There is a stigma attached to these dogs. They need training, they need to know who is "boss" (that doesn't mean abuse!). Have a frank discussion with her. Explain how sweet and great the dog is, but ultimately, it is going to have to be "proven" to her. Once she visits and sees the dog I am sure she will come around. Regardless of breed, 99% of the people in the world respect and appreciate a well-behaved dog. It's hard to judge by breed when the dog is a sweetheart!
Keep up with training, never leave him with your children - because children can inadvertently antagonize a dog. Keep up the training - hey did I mention, keep up the training? :)
You are an adult, you have your own life, and you know what is best and what will work with your family.
He sounds like the perfect family dog! These dogs really do make wonderful pets.
I work in a grooming salon, and all the mean dogs we get are shih tzus, maltese, etc. Little dogs are the worst to have if you have young kids!
Hopefully she will come around. Staffies are very loyal and loving and he will make a wonderful playmate for the children. It will take a while for her to accept it if she ever does.
I thought they were a loving family dog...a watch dog...who watches his children?
Your an adult now who makes her own decisions...mom's gonna have to deal with it...she'll throw a fit at first, but if you don't give in..she'll fade off and leave you alone. Sounds like this isn't the first time mama's interfered...correct?
On the other hand her feelings are valid, she's just concerned about the safety of the kids.
Has this place REALLY given you the total back ground/history on this dog. To the best of your knowledge is there any history of aggressiveness/biting?
Ask the rescue about what screening tests they have done regarding this dog around children.
ASK POINT BLANK...have they taken this dog around children while being in doors with them, out doors, have the children tried taken the dogs food away from him while he was eating, pulling/pushing on him, messing with him while he was asleep.these are the tests they should be doing.

Is the rescue able to do this for the dog and for the safety of the children and him self?
Happy testing,
:)
I totally agree with Ice Queen. I love my staffy, she is the sweetest.
When I was younger, we adopted a young adult and still had the sweetest personality. They just want to love and be loved.
My mother had the same opinion when I decided to get my puppy two years ago. He is a Rotti/Am staff mix. I too have three children who were younger when we got him. They are now 9,10, and 14 . My daughter is old enough to watch her siblings and my dogs ( my other is an 11 year old St.Bernard/shepard mix) stay with them. My 9 and ten year old walk my dogs alone ( just up and down the road). I fully trust both my dogs with my kids, as well as anyone else. I do however would expect them to protect my children and us if need be. As I would ANY breed of dog! I am more afraid to have my kids around little dogs, as my step fathers little weiner dog snapped at me and my ten year old just the other day. Your mom will come around hopefully when she sees how loving the dog is.
I have three kids and have had a stafford cross (put-down at 15 due to illness) and a 9 month old pure bred Staffordshire Bull Terrier pup. You could not ask for a better dog around children. They are loyal, loving and have a great sense of fun! When we bought our first dog - before we even had kids - many family members expressed concern. Once they got to know the dog and see how much they love their human families these fears were soon banished. Since then my brother in law has bought one and my parents have looked into keeping one that adopted them.
Small dogs are more likely to bite kids than a Stafford. Most of the media reports of dog attacks will lay the blame on a stafford rather than finding out the real breed concerned. Much of the news footage show dogs that have less stafford blood than me!

No comments:

Post a Comment