Wednesday, July 29, 2009

3 mo/old Maltese Parvo recovery question?

My new lil Maltese was admitted to the Vet's this past Saturday due to Parvo. IV's %26 antibitoics were administered. She was there 3 days and I was allowed to bring her home last night :). She only drinks water currently and is alert but still sleeps alot. The I/D food they gave me for her certainly does not appeal to her!! Is Pedialyte a good alternative to water, like maybe 1 teaspoon every 2 hours or so along with water in between? How long should I expect her to be down like this? She showed symptoms of Parvo %26 tested positive via Parvo Snap test and a WBCell test just 2 days after receiving her 3rd set of shots... Thanks for the reply! Oh and a huge Thank you to Dara for your response a few days ago!! And to everyone browsing through the questions.. please Vaccinate your pups!! and get boosters! I would not want anyone to go through what we have experienced with our lil gal!!
Answers:
I like pedialyte verses gatoraid. Its more for infants and I think it would be easier on their stomach. I do have the flavored but no one has liked it.
The ID is specifically very bland as to not upset the stomach. If she starts acting hungry but just doesn't want it try mixing some of her own food with it. Usually they will go ahead and eat it but the ID is not mandatory for recovery. I don't even get the id when I pick anyone up anymore. They should not have released her till she was holding regular water and the dry id given while hospitalized.
i don't know about pedialyte. it might be the texture of the I/D. most perscription foods don't have a very appealing texture, so if you mash it up with a fork it becomes a bit more stomachable. you could try pouring a tiny bit of gravy over it, like if you make a pot roast, you can pour some extra juice on the food so that it tastes better but she still gets the meds and antibiotics that are in the food. if that doesn't work, well, your puppy just doesn't feel very well right now. parvo is some nasty stuff and if you were sick like they get sick, would you want to eat all the time? just give her a while to get her stomach back in order and see if she'll be a bit hungrier then.
oh, you can try giving her gatorade. yes the human drink. one of those little bottles won't hurt her but it will build up her electrolytes.

No comments:

Post a Comment