Monday, May 24, 2010

Any tips on how to train an 11 and 1/2 month old pittbull?

White and Black very hyper! When he hears someone knocking at the door he runs and jumps at the door until he is use to the person. He's not really another dog person espcially when my Uncle's dog comes over to visit. His name is Milo a mix of the names of his parents Mongo and Mila. He loves treats but only gets them when he is behaving right or does a trick correctly. His favorite toy is Squeakers. He farts ALOT! Thats why we need to keep him in his cage.(not all day) He likes to jump on people. Has rashes almost all the time but he is the most pitiful looking dog you will ever meet in your life! Hopefully when you meet my dog you will like him!! So if any tips, please tell me!
Answers:
Make sure he gets alot of exersise. He needs to know you or some other human is the pack leader. Make sure to socalize him with other dogs. There is alopt of on line stuff for training a pit bull use it.
Sounds like you got an inbred wacko dog. My friend had two pitbulls that were brother and sister, and they were inbred, then he bred THEM so the puppies that came out were like triple inbred and they were wacked out. They survived fine (i think one died after birth) but they were stupid as all hell.
www.michaelvicksdogschool.com
I have two pits. I'm training them to come and sit with treats. My dogs fart a lot too. As far as jumping on people- my dogs are learning 'down'. We say it everytime they jump up. Say it loud and stern.
1. Your dog needs socialization with other dogs. Yesterday. Pitbulls often need extensive contact with other dogs as not to turn dog aggressive.
2. Have him neutered ASAP.
3. He is a strong dog that needs, benefits and deserves to be active. He needs to run, play, and use his mind constructively - obedience training and agility are good activities that strengthens the bond between the two of you and keeps him happy and well-adjusted.
4. If he farts so much and has rashes all the time, he might be allergic to whatever you are feeding him. Talk to the vet, see what he recommends for a diet. Some dog treats, like fake bacon, pig ears and other chewy stuff contains a lot of salt and fat and many dogs are sensitive to that.
5. Start classes to socialize and get good tips on how to raise him to be a well-adjusted, happy dog.
6. Get him used to various people, animals, traffic and environment. Take him in the car for short trips to town, woods/mountains/beach, the park, to visit friends, walk in a different neighborhood, etc.
7. Don't crate him too much during the day - he will just be frustrated and end up with oodles of pent-up energy.
8. Make sure he is used to brushing his teeth, trimming his nails, bathing, taking his temperature and other unpleasant things - it will make grooming, hygiene and potential illness so much easier on you and the dog.
Take care of him and love him and have fun - spend time with him and know that he'll be your best friend for ever if you let him!
Women save toddler from pit-bull attack
By: WILLIAM FINN BENNETT - Staff Writer
LAKE ELSINORE ---- Jennifer Ruckel never saw it coming, she said on a recent afternoon. One minute she was sitting on her bed talking to her sister Robin, laughing and watching her 18-month-old son Taylor dance on the rug at their feet ---- the next, their 30 seconds of terror began.
With no provocation or warning, the family's 5-year-old pit bull, Molly, suddenly lunged across the room and grabbed Taylor's head in its jaws and began shaking the boy like a rag doll.
"The dog just snapped; it changed from a protective, loving dog to a beast within a second," Jennifer said of the March 31 attack.

Robin threw a cup of hot coffee on the dog. Jennifer began pounding on the animal from behind, desperately trying to get her to let go, the woman said. The dog's lower jaw was clamped on the back of the boy's head, its upper jaw locked onto his face next to his ear and neck and it continued to shake the boy.
Finally, the dog loosened her grip for a split second, letting go of Taylor, and Jennifer threw herself on top of the toddler as the dog continued to lunge and dig beneath her body to get at the child. http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2004/04/...
Lots %26 lots of exercise. Your dog is frustrated...or bored. Hence the lots of excercise, like walking especially. Also he needs to be socialized. See this web site.
He's probably so hyper because he needs more exercise. If he's farting a lot, try changing his food to something else (change it gradually!). Make sure you are taking him for long walks or runs and taking him somewhere he can play a lot every day. He will behave better when he's getting the exercise he needs. He might not ever be friendly to other dogs, though.
Sign up for obedience classes...ask your vet to recommend someone in your area.
However, the best advice I can give you is get rid of that dog before it kills you or someone close to you!
I own a very sweet, adorable, well mannered pit bull. I got her when she was six weeks old. I socialized her with people, other dogs, kids, car rides often, public places such as off leash dog parks and beaches. However I started from the moment I got her with manners. I also enrolled her in obedience classes. She is the sweetest dog I have ever known!!! I play with her several times a day, she sleeps with me, I bathe her, feed her, love her, and take care of her. All my time, patience, and love has paid off ten fold. My dog is my soul mate, I love her so much!! My best advice to you is what kind of dog do you want? If you give him a lot of love, and a lot of your time it will pay off. I have to say I can't believe you cage your dog because he has gas... I never crated any of my dogs. ( I have 4 dogs) and glad I never did. I find it cruel, but that's just me! I am a die hard animal lover! I give my dogs a lot of love and attention. I even make a healthy dinner for them every night. (decided to make their dinners, instead of risking their lives with dog food) Anyway, my best advice is give your dog lots of love, and lots of attention! Stay consistent with your obedience classes, and use the tools they give you.!! Good Luck!
*** PLEASE REMEMBER PEOPLE ARE IGNORANT WHEN IT COMES TO PIT BULLS, SO PLEASE EDUCATE YOURSELF ON PIT BULLS, BECAUSE IT DOEST HELP THAT THE MEDIA GIVES THEM A BAD RAP, WHEN ALL KINDS OF DIFFERENT BREEDS ATTACK PEOPLE EVERYDAY THAT YOU DON'T HEAR ON THE NEWS...!! PLEASE ENROLL YOUR PIT IN OBEDIENCE COURSES... MAKE SURE HE HAS ALL HIS SHOTS. LOVE HIM TO PIECES. MAKE SURE HE HAS PLENTY OF EXERCISE. HAVE FUN WITH HIM. ENJOY AS MUCH TIME AS YOU CAN WITH HIM..!! THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A BAD DOG, ONLY A BAD OWNER..!!!!!!!!!
one of the reasons he is hyper is BECAUSE you keep him in a cage.no exercise=hyperactivity.
buy one of Cesar Milan's books.he is not a dog trainer,he is a dog psychologist and will help you to understand your staffie.i own 2 staffies myself and they are a handful but you can do this i'm sure once your pup knows your are the "pack leader" in your household.
skin rash and flatulence? sounds like you need to change your pups food and bath/brush him more.keep lots of fresh water available.
its going to take some work and i hope you are up for it.
good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment