Friday, May 21, 2010

Another agility question?

I have a 3 year old Boston Terrier who I would love to get started on agility training. The only thing is, I know nothing about it. I have no idea at what age you're supposed to start the training, but I know she would have a blast. She has a TON of energy, is VERY fast, agile, lean, playful, flexible and I've never met a more intelligent dog in my life. And that's not just my personal bias. People are always amazed with how smart this dog is. I talk to her like a human and she responds accordingly. I would just love to be able to channel her engery and intelligence into something that would be fun for her, and me as well. Don't get me wrong, she gets plenty play time at home. And I don't care about money, prizes or trophies. I'm asking because I really think she would love it. So where should I start? Should I buy a book? Or is it too late?
Answers:
She's old enough to start now.
Rather than a book, you're better to find classes in your area. First of all it's better to have an experience instructor supervising if it's the first time you've trained agility, to make sure you're doing it safely and correctly. Also, the equipment is pretty expensive (and heavy and takes up a lot of space), so it's generally cheaper and easier to use the stuff at class until you're sure you enjoy it and then build/buy some of your own.
Have fun, agility is a blast!
Dogs can do agility from 6 weeks until they are dead. Find a good agility class and join. Books can help but classes are more fun. Several top breeders have mini agilty equipment for their pups to use b4 they go home, it helps build confidence.
Agility age starts from 12/18mnths of age so crack on and get a place in a class booked!!
Find one in your area,google it,phone round vets to see if they know anyone thats doing classes or pet shops have always got posters in there windows,
good luck:)
It's not too late. My first agility dog didn't start training until she was 5. She's 8 now and you wouldn't know it to look at her.
You don't need to go out and buy any books, what you need to do, is find an agility event in your area. These websites may be able to help with that.... www.akc.org www.k9events.com. If that doesn't help try typing dog agility+your area in the search bar and see if you can find a training facility in your area.
It's a good thing you don't care about money, prizes or trophies. Even after a great weekend at a trial you usually come home with great memories, exhausted, and some ribbons. When you get up to the "big titles" you may come home with a cross bar from a jump, that takes years to acclomplish, so don't hold your breath waiting for that one. You can't run a course if your not breathing :)
Forwarning: it's addictive, once you start you won't want to stop.
Good Luck and have fun running with your dog.
first attend an actual agility event and decide if yur dog is right. to find an event near you go to cleanrun.com. the build some equipment this is where i made my dog agility equipmet and it works great
( http://www.caninecrib.com/dog/training/a...
also make it to your dogs hight! then attend classes or got to youtube.com and search dog agility and watch some videos. ohh and you should go to expertvillage.com and search dog agility it really helps. remember to practice alot. first practice twicw a day for about 15 min. then make the practices longer. remember to practice and this will take a long time i mean a long time but since your dog is smart and agile then it wont take that long like my dog!!! remember to always have funnnnnnnnnn with your dog and never get mad at you dog no matter how it went. always make it fun. and no its never too late to start. have funnnnnnnnnnnn

No comments:

Post a Comment