Friday, May 21, 2010

Animal Careers- Vet Hospital or Clinic?

If you work at a animal clinic or a hospital what is your job and do you enjoy it?
Do you get good benefits?
How is the pay?
What are the pros and cons?
Thanks again! :)
Answers:
In my area, being a vet tech pays about as much as a entry level warehouse worker. I couldn't stay at that job to support my family on my own. Benefits depend on the individual employer. Some of the nicest ones I've worked with pay pretty well, but can't afford to supply much in the line of health insurance, but they do offer other benefits like care for your personal pets, and flexible schedules. Others can offer better benefits, but are not so nice to work for.
I'd say if you are considering a veterinary career, go all the way to the top. Anything less isn't as good a return on the educational expenses.
The best reason to go into veterinary medicine is job satisfaction.
I worked for a vet clinic for five years, starting as a kennel assistant cleaning cages and feeding boarders. I then moved up to vet assistant. The technical aspects if drawing blood, taking x-rays, placing cathetars, etc was very exciting. I became very close to a lot of the clients and patients. It was really laid back too. The benefits were good, but I didn't need them. They included health, dental, vision, 401K, and bonuses. The pay was reasonable($10-$12). If I was licensed it would be more competitive. You had to be flexible with your schedule, because a lot of places are understaffed and you would be expected to stay if an emergency came in five minutes before close. I sometimes did not get out till two or three hours after we closed. The good thing was I really felt I was doing a good service to owners by caring for their pet. It was great. I want to go back.
Well, I have never worked per say I volunteer at a no kill shelter from time to time. I do whatever I am able or whats asked of me. I clean kennels, feed, bath dogs, train some very basics like don't jump up on people and how to walk on a lead. I don't get paid and I tend to donate. Not able to do it as often or as much anymore but, I try. The pros are I feel I help the dogs and the cons are they just keep coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment