Friday, May 21, 2010

Any experience with Doggy Bootcamp?

Okay, well I recently got a new female foster who is very dog aggressive. She is great otherwise so I feel like there is hope for her! Since I have 4 dogs of my own I am having a hard time working with her on this without endangering or confining my own dogs. I have looked into signing her up for a month long Doggy Bootcamp that specializes is training and socialization and I am just wondering if any of you have tried something like this and what your experiences have been. Thanks!
Answers:
My dog was hostile towards other dogs when I got him but after a session of doggy boot camp he came home better then ever and much more friendly
I have never tried it, nor can I say that I would be compelled to, solely because I'm a paranoid freak about my dogs, and don't trust anyone but myself with them.
What kind of training do they do there, that cures dog aggression?? I would be extremely leery, unless I had watched them in action...

Kudos to you, BTW, for taking the little girl in : )
I'm usually not one to push that kind of thing but I was just in a situation with a Rottweiler that I fell in love with but she had it out for my female. And I take care of other dogs here as well, I simply couldn't take the chance. She wouldn't do anything while I was out there. But I know the second I went inside, She'd be on her faster than I could say "OH CRAP". I found Popsicle an awesome home with a wonderful couple who also has another Rottie. And ducks, and bunnies. I was so grateful. I think it would be awesome if you did that. If I had the $, I would have. Good for you for doing all you can. Your a good Mom.
Do you mean a board-and-train?
Keep in mind that this industry is not regulated. I don't believe that there is any way that you can guarantee the safety and well-being of your dog when you send them off to these places. Be very careful what you're getting into - I would recommend seeing a positive trainer with the dog yourself to help her work through issues. Many of those places have been found to use terrible, aversive methods under the guise of being called "balanced training" (not good for dogs)
Also, the information that you learn will be valuable to you as a foster. Just a thought! Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment