Friday, May 21, 2010

Another Labrador Question?

When we got our almost 1 year old lab we knew it would chew but not this much. Is there any technique to make her stop chewing on stuff?
Answers:
I'm with the others - give them lots of other stuff to chew on. When mine (a Newf/Lab mix) was younger he really loved chewing on his NBone "Galileo" bone. It's really hard and won't break into pieces. He still chews on one occasionally but not as often as when we was a young manic chewer. NBone and Booda both have several really nice hard bones for tough chewers like Labs. Also lots of exercise as dogs can chew out of boredom.
When mine was younger I didn't realize till my wood dining chair legs were ALL chawed upon that he was chewing on them. I wrapped them in foil - which looked godawful tacky - but he didn't touch them after that. Once he learned what he was allowed to chew I took the foil off. Then realized I hated the dining set and got rid of it lol Maybe he has better design sense than I do and was helping me out? ;)
Most dogs will "outgrow" this period. Always try to substitute a "good" chew for a forbidden one.
Good luck :)
i know how much they can chew trust me. i grew up with labs and my dad breeds them. and we always have chewable toys and flavored bones and stuff around. i recommend those pig huffs, don't get raw hides they are bad for a dogs digestive system. and when she starts to chew on some thing stop him/her and say "no" or "no chewing" and give her or him the chewy and say good dog. i hope i helped . i know how frustrating it can be when they chew. if you have any more questions just email me.
I have 2 labs. It is a hard time for youthe first 2 years. Labs need lots of room to run and lots of exercise.The chewing is a big problem, ask my furniture.I sprayed my furniture with some special spray that I bought from the pet store. I also was toold to take them out for a brisk walk in the morning and in the evening. This will wear them down and make them to tired to chew. also find a special toy or chew for them to chew on. One such thing is a rahide bone. If all else fails, out hot sauce on the area that the dog is chewing on. Pepper will work to. It will help deture them from the sent that makes them want to chew on that thing.
Good Luck!!
You will need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment