Friday, May 21, 2010

Animals and cancer...?

I was just thinking the other day and realized 3 out of my 4 pets I've had have died of cancer. none at an early age. One was a Chow/Shepard mix who died at 15, one a Keeshond who died at 13 and two cats in their 20's. What I started wondering was if my husband and I contributed to their deaths.. We have no kids so we've always smoked in the house. I don't remember every seeing anything about secondhand smoke and animals. Thanks!!
Answers:
You never know... It might also be something in your yard... Or the food you feed..
Couldn't say if it contributed to those particular deaths, but secondhand smoke is just as bad for pets as it is for people.
I think it depends on what type of cancer they all died from. Can you add additional information please
i think it's odd they all died of cancer.
i wouldnt allow anyone to smoke near my 2 dogs. my third dog died of liver cancer at a late age. dunno her exact age coz i adopted her from someone who found her. anyway, till now i still blame myself coz i suspect it was the diet. but when she came, she already had some sort of protruding black lump on her stomach area.
You do realize that second hand smoke can lead to cancer in humans don't you? Well, it is the same in dogs and cats.
However, your pets definately lived a long life, longer than what is typical for a housepet. You are lucky. But if your pets had been suffering from cancer, that is no way for them to live.
Please, smoke outside if you must smoke at all. Your pets have no choice but to breathe your pollution. They can't escape. Would you smoke in the house if you did have kids? Your pets are your kids.
Type secondhand smoke + pets into any search engine and you will see it. I put a couple links below so you can see I am not crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment