Sunday, August 2, 2009

Am I teaching my dog violence or being playful?

I have a 1 and a half year old female golden retriever. She's so playful... very much still a puppy.
I'm concerned that I'm teaching her to be violent when I play with her. Sometimes I'll make my fist into a claw and she will lift her mouth up, show her teeth and attack my hand, and I'll tease her with my hand for a minute or two. Eventually, I just let her bite down on my fist, and then she'll lick it. So I think she understands not to attack people, but I'm not so certain.
And I'm wondering if there is any conterversy on playing tug-of-war with dogs. Opinions?
Answers:
The human hand is (in dog language) equivalent to the dog麓s mouth. So only do things with your hand that dogs normally do with each other. They play-fight, and nip each other in play, the mouth is always their "tool". You should always initiate the game, and end the game. You, as the boss, have to determine what, when, and how it is to be done. So the dog must never land up as the winner in a game. As long as you keep this in mind, I think it is alright to play this game. I also play with my two dogs, and playfully "bite" them with my hand, on the jowls and on the shoulder and the hind feet are places where dogs often bite each other in play. When a dog does bite in earnest, then it heads for the scruff of the neck and the throat. That is the place where you can "bite" your dog when he does something you do not like. But the way you describe your game with your dog, I do not think that this is dangerous. It is just good to be aware of how dogs "think".
no, your dog knows that you are just playing with him. If your are teaching him violence, good for you because your dog will be more effective to protect you.
I have a yellow lab and he does that to, they are just playing. they dont try to hurt you.
Do not play with your bear hand. It is not ok. Even if she does not bite down. Sh!t happends and that is the last thing that you would want. Always play w/ some sort of toy.
Of course you can and should play tug-of-war with your dog. About the "attacking", you will regret that when she is full grown and does that to you. But don't punish her for it later. It is what you are teaching her so if she bites too hard and takes your hand off or gets it bleeding just remember it is your fault. sHE ONLY KNOWS WHAT SHE IT TAUGHT AND THE REST IS INSTINCT.
Hi Nike, Don't make a fist to your dog. This is a threading to her and why she bite down on your fist and then kiss it, she doesn't want you to make a fist at her and she doesn't want to hurt you. Yes your are making a violence dog out of her and if someone raises a hand of fist at her or you she will bite them. Playing tug war is a good clean fun for your dog to play plus it strength her teeth and jaws. Remember what you teach her will some time turn around and bite you in the
A S S.
poppy1
tug of war with a rope toy is playtime. biting human skin and reinforcing the behavior is really bad. you know she is playing...no one else does.. you might want to teach "no skin"... ever..i did this,,, smeear peanut butter on the pam of my hand and let her lick, when she trys to chew, take my hand away. and say no bite...then try again, they can tell the difference of licking, to how it feels to bite with teeth. they will learn 'no bite skin'....

No comments:

Post a Comment