Sunday, August 2, 2009

Am I the only person that finds the "micro chip" inhumane?

I just don't agree with the idea of my dog have a chip planted under his skin.
Answers:
Not as inhumane as dressing your dog, or the gentle leader for life or feeding table treats. I would rather have that added security that if I am separated from my dogs they have a better chance of finding me. Its their way of talking to someone that helps them in their time of need.
I certainly would not want one of my babies to have the same fate as albert becuase microchipping is considered "inhumane"
http://www.spotsociety.org/fatedog.html...
It's not any more inhumane than a shot...and both protect your dog.
My dog has one in the back of his neck. Hes a happy dog. His collar has no ID so that chip will be helpful if he gets lost.
besides the dogs are sidated temporaraly before they inplant the chip.

hey why are people voting me down if my awnser i similar to everyone elses?...what is my avatar scary looking or something?? why does everyone hate me??
I'm thinking you're one of a few. It hurts about as much as piercing your ears does as I've been led to understand. And I've spoken to people who have surface piercings and even they say that after the initial piercing there isn't all that much pain, just a bit of stiffness and soreness unless it becomes infected. And really a chip isn't a piercing so infection really isn't all that likely. If the chip means the difference between losing my dog forever because of a mistake and getting a second chance to not repeat that mistake... I think bearing the burden of causing my dog a moment's discomfort will be mine for eternity.
I don't find it inhumane.
It is in the dog's best interest should he or she get lost or stolen. It's a form of identification that can't be lost or tampered with, unlike the commonly used identification tag on a collar.
If you find the sting the dog experiences inhumane, think of it this way: Parents give their children vaccines to prevent them from getting sick. Sure it hurts their child when the needle goes in, and they cry, but in the end they care only for what is good for them.
Micro chips are the same. Sure, it may sting for a moment, but the fact that it could bring your dog back home to you is a pricless thing.
EDIT:
In reply to "squeaks706":
You compare microchipping your dog to microchipping your child. The difference in that is that your child can talk and give the police officers information if he is lost, even if it is tidbits. Your dog cannot speak for himself, so another means of I.D. is required.
If we treated dogs exactly the same as humans, then we would also have collars and ID tags on our small kids, which is not the case.
yes.
More humane than it getting lost and ending up at some crappy house or put down at the shelter. The chips help get the dog back home in many of these cases.
In my own opinion I actually think the microchip idea is really good for our pets. Micro chipping is recognized as the most effective and secure way of permanently identifying a pet.
Being under the skin, it is safe from weather, erosion, alternation and theft and cannot be seen by human eye. It has no battery. So the microchip can help us get our pets back of ever lost.
hi, I ALSO AGREE, you know that they
have also proven that its not healthy,
the chip has wonderd around inside the
dogs skin, or it does not always detect
so,/you get a chip put into the dog ,the dog runs away pound picks dog up,checks to see if dogs has chip.NO DETECTION,
so pound puts dog asleep 4ever,
reminder DOG DID HAVE A CHIP.
All our pets are mnicrochipped, I beleive its essential in order to reduce the number of unclaimed strays being destroyed at rescue centres. Collars can fall off, be removed or lost but a chip is permanent.
Its not inhumane. One of my dogs cried a little when it was inserted (the insertion must hurt like an injection) but as long as its done by a skilled hand it won't cause any long term problems or discomfort and the reassurance that if our pet ever got lost (and we have a Collie X who loves escaping and wandering off!) we could reclaim them is well worth it.
Seems as if you are
First off, "inhumane" for a dog is the wrong word to use. Second, I find it no more cruel than not doing it. Because when your dog gets out and has to go the pound because there is no tag because he's lost, it will be putting him through a needlessly tramatizing ordeal. Not to mention if they don't know who you are he gets put up for adoption along with all the other people's dog's who don't agree with microchipping. Then because there are so many dogs, they don't have room for them so they have to euthanize your dog. That's what I call cruel. Please, get your dog microchipped.
Now that's just plain silly. Do you have pierced ears? It's the cheapest and most 'for sure' way to have your dog returned if he should get lost. Maybe you're on vacation in another town and the dog slips away, maybe he loses his collar, and just loses his way back to you. Almost every vet has a 'locater' and your dog will get you back.
I don't know who told you it would 'wander around,' unless it is put in incorrectly, it can't.
I've had all mine microchipped. They didn't even flinch %26 since 2 of mine have serious health problems (diabetes - insulin dependent %26 liver disease) I find it comforting to know how quickly they'll be returned if anything were to happen %26 they get lost. It's the only way that can't be removed to get them home safely. You never know if there will be an auto accident %26 they get separated from you. I've already seen it work.
It is completely safe and helps prevent the dog from being stollen or lost. The chip is very small and is covered in a liquid protective layer so it's not just floating around doing anything harmful. If anything I think it is more humane.
It's not inhumane at all.I wish I had had one put in my dog,who got out of our fenced yard in June and was never found.She had tags but if she had lost her collar,they would be of no use,so I wish I would have had her microchipped.It doesn't hurt the dog,other than making the injection site a little sore after.If it's inhumane,then tail docking and ear cropping are pure torture ( these procedures should be banned.) And what about people who get their babies' ears pierced? Do you think the baby enjoys it? I think that should be against the law for kids under 6 years old.
As If,I gave you a thumbs up.That happens to me,too.
I'm sure it does hurt a bit when it is put in and if there were no payoff for the animal I would agree with you. But it increases the chance of your pet getting home if they get away from you. My cat acts rather feral (wild) around strangers. If he ever got out of the house, that chip would be the only thing that would save him from being put down by animal control. I've done my best to socialize him, but he's too old to change much. So, I think it is worth putting him through a few minutes of hurt if it could save his life.
I believe you probably are the only one that thinks a micro chip is inhumane. If you ever lost your dog and it broke your heart I think you might change your mind. There are lots of bad people out there that might not be nice to your dog, or turn it over to a testing place for a fee. A chip might save him from this miserable fate.
As much as I respect everyone's opinions, I wouldn't do this to my dog. Everyone says it's just a like a shot , but honestly would you say yes to putting like a micro chip on your child's back? I'm not saying they need them, but what if there was a new optional vaccine that can only be administered via like micro chipping, would you do it?
its not inhumane. it will help you track your dog if it ever gets lost. you wouldnt want that would u? its worth the money especially if you live out in the farm where a dog could get lost for miles until someone finds it. my dog has one just below his neck and although its a little painful when its implanted, its long term effects are remarkable.
so yes, you are the only person to find it inhumane.
I totally agree with you, and almost didn't get a dog from my local shelter because of it. I found out, while at the shelter, that the puppy i wanted was not microchipped (they don't do it until they are adopted). The shelter doesn't not sedate or even numb the area they are about to chip. I witnessed two dogs being chipped, and both yelped. One even bled a good bit. To make matters worse, I offered to take the puppy to my own vet to chip, but because he was of age and weight, the lady at the shelter said she couldn't let me do that. Yeah, it may hurt for a split second, but still... isn't being in a shelter enough?
I have two dogs, one is chipped, the other is tattooed. I think tattooing is better, because everyone can see it, plus, the animal has to be sedated for it. However, i have no problem with the chip, providing the animal is sedated and/or isn't being harmed. I don't see why shelters can't get animals tatooed when they are being "altered". thats how my vet does it.

No comments:

Post a Comment