Sunday, August 2, 2009

All You Know About: Miniature Australian Shepherds and Poodles?

i am looking for the perfect dog and i just want some information. Thanks So Much!
Answers:
Miniature Aussies are not really well liked by Australian shepherd breeders. I own two Aussies my self and I LOVE them. They have a LOT of energy and really keep you on your toes. Poodles can be the same way. The best way to find the perfect dog is to think about several things.what is your daily schedule like? if you are a busy person you shouldn't get a breed that is very needy. Aussies are (the real ones, not the mini ones). MOST dog breeds are needy. Ok so, answer these and then find out what breeds match your lifestyle:
How busy am I?
How much time can I devote to walks and training?
Can I afford the expensive costs of putting down a puppy deposit for a pure bred dog AND pay for shots and vet visits a month after purchase?
Do I want a dog that follows me everywhere or that is pretty independent?
Do I want a big dog or a little dog?
Most medium to larger breed dogs need big yards (especially Australian Shepherds)...do you have a good size back yard or do you have an apartment?
There are more but I could only think of a few. Here is a link (random) that talks about mini aussies:
http://www.miniatureequine.com/triplek/a...
Me PERSONALLY, I would never buy one because I have Australian shepherds and seeing those just makes me think.I love mine too much...those are too small! But...check it out you might like it.
No such thing as a Miniature Australian Shepherd. It's a term by backyard breeders and puppymills to describe dogs they've bred down, with no regards to health or temperment. No responsible breeder breeds a dogs' size down. Look on akc.org-you will not find a such thing as a Miniature Australian Shepherd.
I do know Miniature Poodles are much more even-tempered than Toys. My Standard mentor told me this, when I was thinking of getting one. She even gave me a great Mini breeder referral.
Just remember-there's grooming involved, so be prepared to take your Poodle to the groomer's at least every 6 weeks.
I'd temper the previous comment a bit.
I currently own an Aussie and compete with it in various areas of dog sports.
Where I see the term is for people who are intentionally breeding smaller Aussies for agility. Aussies can be great agility dogs, but by having them smaller people are hoping to compete at lower jump heights.
From my perspective, when you get folks trying to do things such as this, you're asking for problems.
Aussies are not especially big to begin with. If you're looking for something the size of a miniature poodle, they are not for you.
Both the American Kennel Club breed club for Aussies and the Australian Kennel Club are both very opposed to miniature aussies.

No comments:

Post a Comment