Sunday, August 2, 2009

Am i right for a husky?

doing my research on them before i get one and i saw on a site to ask whether im right for a husky not is a husky right for me
im very active go running every day for 2 ,3 hours
my garden has high fences *dont no how high but really tall *
they cant dig under it as its in the ground
even when i wont be home someone will always be and if need be the dog will be left for 2 hr max if we cant take him to places
i dont mind the mess it will create in my garden
dont mind the hair all over the house
im prepared to go to as many obedience lessons as it takes
have a dog vet
love dogs
dont have any other pet in the house the house is puppy and dog friendly
the youngest person in our family is 4 nearly 5
i dont mind working hard to give my dog the best life it could possibly have
ive done research on the breed and even the sites that try and put you of haven鈥檛 its just made me want one even more
Also I live in England so it doesn鈥檛 get really hot even in the summer
Answers:
Sounds like you've done your research. Kids over 4, lots of opportunities to exercise (by the way I wouldn't even worry about him messing up your garden after a 2 hour run. he'll probably be taking a nap), cool weather and no cats (Huskies have stronger hunting instincts).
Go for it. But as I'm sure you've already found out, they are smart, stubborn dogs. So if this is your first time owning a dog (you didn't say) I would recommend the obedience classes.
Well, I don't have the breed...but it sounds like a good match. There's a lot to take into consideration with this breed and it looks like you have most of it covered. It's wonderful to see someone research before adopting/buying. Which leads me to a question, have you found a rescue or responsible breeder? Please, don't get one from anywhere else.
i commend you for reading up,on the breed of dog you want to get ! you will make a GREAT dog owner to the husky !!
I had a Husky and he wanted to pull, all the time. I've even heard of people attaching a harness to a large tire and getting the dog to pull the tire around the yard! Yes they shed a lot, and require a lot of exercise. When they get out of the yard, they can disappear for miles! It's frustrating. They are little Houdini's! They will chase and attack rabbits, cats or other critters. They are truly beautiful and I hope you enjoy your Husky very much.
I think you are good for a husky. Husky's are good dogs and are very energetic dogs and could be good around your family. Here is a website that will help you decide on the husky's temperament.
Sounds like you are the ideal home for a husky!
They are very energetic but if you take it running with you (which it will love) you shouldnt have any trouble, especially if you are willing to take it to obedience lessons.
Before you go to a breeder though, if you have once close enough, go check a dog kennel. There may be a husky there waiting for a home!
Just by reading your post, my initial reaction would be to approve you if you wanted to adopt a husky from the rescue I volunteer with. I have several foster huskies that would LOVE to be in a home like yours.
One thing to remember, though. Huskies are very boisterous dogs and they could easily knock a 4-5 year old down. So training from day one will be essential.
Please consider a rescued dog before buying a puppy from a backyard breeder.
Sounds like a husky would be a great match! They love to run!
I'm in the US so I'm not sure about microchipping dogs over there, but if its commonly practiced, then a microchip would be recommended. Huskies are escape artists so make sure you have ways he can be identified and watch your doors!
Huskys are working dogs and require a great deal of exercise. saying that yes I think your right for the breed. Just remember keep basic rules when hes in your company > almost be the leader never let him lead you never make him poses any toys.
Kudos to you for reading up on this breed!! I am a husky owner, and It makes me mad when people buy this breed and then complain about it.
My one word of advice to you is to NEVER EVER TRUST YOU HUSKY OFF THE LEASH!!!
Also something you may want to purchase from amazon or your local book store is "Siberian Huskies for Dummies" I recommend this book. I am experienced with huskies and still turn to this book for advice, one of the best books around!!

Contact me if you have any other questions and good luck and enjoy your husky! send me pics! :)
Kudos to you for researching your breed of choice before jumping right into an adoption.
From what you described in your question, your lifestyle is highly suitable for a husky. My only questions would be:
a) do you own your own home? If not, does your landlord approve of you having a husky?
b) Does everyone in the home want to have a high energy dog added to the household and understand that its going to take time/effort to accommodate that new addition?
c) Do you have friends with dogs who you can socialize your dog with after you have acquired it? Huskies are pack animals and need the company of canines to be completely happy. If you are only going to have one dog in the household, then playdates at a dogpark is very helpful :)
If you have young children in your home, you may want to consider a husky older than a 8 week old puppy. Though terribly cute at that age, they only stay that way for a couple of months and, seemingly overnight, you awaken to a almost grown dog at 5 months of age. All puppies are challenging;husky puppies can be sheer hell. They chew EVERYTHING and do not distinguish between their toys, your children's toys and your favorite italian designer shoes.
Those who are the sole dog in the house can easily wear out an entire household of people daily. Baby gates work for a while in keeping them out of certain areas, but they quickly learn that they can hop over with minimal effort.
Your husky will need to be taught manners around kids and vice versa. Though they are bred to be family dogs and loving with one and all, including children, you still need to keep them closely supervised as their sheer exuberance can overwhelm a child quickly. And your children will have to be taught to keep doors closed as no husky worth his salt can resist the call of the open door and road.
With the worst of their attributes duly listed, I must admit that I am hopelessly biased in favor of these dogs as family pets. I have 2 boys myself(11 yrs and 2 yrs), 2 personal dogs(1 husky, 1 husky/mal mix) and a foster husky atm residing in my home. I got my first husky when my oldest son was 6 as a pup and have never looked back. I watched my yard/home be demolished and realized that even as a stay-home mum, I was completely outmanuevered by the sheer energy of that dog. Years later, he has mellowed a bit, but still is a handful when he's excited. If you're looking for a companion that will make you laugh when you want to scream and never let you sit on the couch endlessly without walks, then this is the breed for you. Your friends may call you insane when they come to your house and meet your 'husky hellion', but insanity isn't such a bad thing :)
Just be careful, because its a common affliction in husky owners to not be able to stop at owning just one...hehe
best of luck...feel free to email at my website should you have any questions. Should you want some more info regarding huskies, please see the link below for a recent news broadcast regarding my rescue which can give you some ideas about huskies.
http://www.10news.com/leadershipaward/13...

No comments:

Post a Comment