Friday, May 8, 2009

16-Week Old Boxer Tears Up EVERYTHING and some.?

My 16-week old Boxer has a tendency to tear/eat up everything in site, no matter what it is. We don't have a crate yet so we were keeping him in a spare bedroom (plenty of room) and he ended up clawing the carpet from the floor (GOOD GOD!). I'm not NEW, persay, to being around puppies/dogs but I must be a little rusty.
Also, we still haven't gotten him used to using the potty outside. He knows what to do when outside, knows what the leash is for and I'm thinking when asked if he has to go outside, he knows what that means too. How do you stop a puppy from trashing the carpet with urine and feces? What's the best way of stopping this behavior? Potty-pads don't work here...he trashes them before they're ever around long enough to be used for bathroom 'stuff.' Am I a bad puppy-daddy? Thank you SO much in advance!
Answers:
You need to spring for a crate, and get him crate trained, especially if he is still sick and not wanting to eat. You need to find a way to keep him out of things, and a crate is the best and most humane way.
Why are you waiting? Get a crate and stop the carnage on your house!
http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.
Like everybody else said, you need to get a crate. Boxers have tons and tons of energy and you need to spend a lot of time with him working off that energy so he's just too tired to destroy everything, but it's also just part of being a puppy and he just has to be trained. I have a Boxer now and I honestly have to say that he was one of the easiest dogs I've ever trained. They're very intelligent. I never used a crate for mine but I also work from home so I was here constantly when he was a puppy and being trained.
Also, I'd just toss the puppy pads completely. That's just confusing him that it's okay to go inside. Good luck to you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment